Bioresources is an innovative and multi-interdisciplinary subject that focuses on the sustainable management and utilization of biological resources (plant, animal and microbial resources). Promotion of Bioresource sector is high on policy agenda of Government of India. Bioresource has also been recognized as one of the key priority sectors under ‘Make in India’, ‘Skill India’ and ‘Startup India’ initiatives of Government of India, as it is one of sectors expected to contribute towards enterprise creation, innovation and economic growth. As such the syllabi in Bioresources include courses that involve sustainable use of Bioresources, exploration of Bioresources for production of Bioenergy and Biofuels, Biomedicine & Biocosmetics, Biocraft, Biofertilizers & Biopesticides, Bioprospecting, Bio-industries, Bio-business & Bio-trade, Bioresource management policies. The programme has been initiated in order to develop skilled human resource which can be capitalized so that the right mix of Bioresources education and research with entrepreneurship skills can be realized for the socioeconomic development of the region. The subject was introduced in the year 2022 and is currently taught as major/minor and multi-disciplinary course at the undergraduate level. The Department has separate well-equipped laboratory and faculty room. Moreover, the Department is also assisted by non-teaching staff that is comprised of one laboratory assistant.
To produce the best human resource in the area of Bioresources by imparting quality education and training to the students. Department visualizes the scholastic achievements of its students in order to fulfill the demand of food, fuel, fiber and medicines for ever-increasing global population in a sustainable manner.
- To explore and assess the potential Bioresources (plant, animal and microbial) of Kashmir Himalayan region and keep the students abreast with the latest developments for making high value products useful to the society and the market.
- To acquaint the students with the urgent need of Bioresources conservation and management, besides to enhance the public awareness on conservation of indigenous Bioresources and harnessing their potential benefits.
- To educate the students regarding the use of eco-friendly technological tools for bioprospecting and to equip them with entrepreneurship skills for sustainable use of Bioresources.
- To collaborate with other institutions/organizations/universities at national and international level in furthering research pursuits in Bioresources.
- To create job opportunities for the pass outs in various sectors this will have immediate relevance to the socioeconomic development such as education, healthcare, biotechnology and bio-trade.
Dr. Tanveer Bilal Pirzadah
B.Sc/ B.Sc Honors Bioresources
- Organic Farming and Sustainable Agricultural Practices
- Vertical Farming: Future of Agriculture
EVENTS & ACTIVITIES:
- Two Day National Workshop on “Scope of Technology Driven Entrepreneurship Development in Jammu and Kashmir, 27th & 28th March, 2023.
- World Earth Day (22nd April 2023) with a theme of “Invest in our Planet”.
- International Year of Millets-2023 (20th May, 2023)
- World Biofuel Day is observed every year on 10th August to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and to highlight the various efforts made by the Government in the biofuel sector.
- Workshop on IPR & IP management for start-up